In a nation where nearly every politician is afraid of offending a vengeful president, Ogun gubernatorial candidate, Ogbeni Lanre Banjo, brings a fresh air to a polluted environment. He is so daring that he says President Olusegun Obasanjo has proved he can outdo ousted dictator, General Ibrahim Babangida, in corruption. In this exclusive interview with Againstbabangida, we bring you Ogbeni Banjo, not to ask for votes for him, but to illustrate an ideal. After you read the interview, you will understand.

The Citizens for Nigeria has been impressed by just two Nigerian politicians so far. They are Ogbeni Lanre Banjo and Professor Pat Utomi. We did not endorse their candidacies for nothing. They have substance. In a nation of erudite scholars that has never been ruled by a university graduate, we think of these two candidates, who are vying for separate offices, as the ideal persons to hold the offices to which they aspire.

Ogbeni Lanre Banjo, an accountant, had served to the very highest levels in the American capital of Washington D.C., before he decided to contest for office in Nigeria. He represents, along with Utomi, the ideal politicians for a new Nigeria.  Banjo says the time has come for Nigerians to take their destiny in their own hands. Calling Nigerians in the Diaspora mostly naive about political developments at home, he, however, tackles some of the most serious issues facing Nigeria today. We present Banjo not as a political choice in an electoral cycle, but an ideal phenomenon in the Nigeria that we want. Unfortunately, both Banjo and Utomi are swimming against the inclement weather for honest politicians in Nigeria's political climate.

Againstbabangida.com has never met Ogbeni Banjo. Our only contact with him has been by email. We sent him an email two months ago, seeking to interview him electronically, after reading news reports about him in the Nigerian newspapers online. He approved. The following are his responses to our questionnaire.

Againstbangida.com: There is a lot of skepticism about 2007. Campaigns are delayed, the electoral commission is having problems, assassinations are rife, bombings are now regular and people say the Third Term is not dead. What do you base your hopes on as we get close the Election Day?

Banjo: Please permit me to first apologize for the delay in granting this interview.  I would also like to recognize your efforts in killing the ambition of General Ibrahim Babangida.  You are on record as one of the tsunamis that crashed his inordinate ambition.  Now to answer your question, the strength of the weak people, reinforced by the will of the Almighty, is my hope.  I said the strength of the weak because as weak as we were, June 12 bore OPC.  From 1993 to 1998, Nigeria did not know peace until Abiola and Abacha were both assassinated.  Only if a few of us can stand tall fearing no threat of assassination or attack, could we liberate ourselves.  All of us must understand that the limit of oppressors is prescribed by the endurance of the oppressed.  We are doing our best to educate the oppressed to stop enduring oppression.  I understand the strategy of the oppressors, and I have been engaging in grass root campaign without unnecessary media noise before today.  With regard to the third time, I truly believe that the third time agenda may still be breathing through Yar’Adua, but it has been mowed down in Obasanjo without his will.

Againstbangida.com: Aren't you all politicians just looking for money? Nigerians are being punished by those they voted for every time. Are there any politicians left who just want to serve? How can we think you are different from the flock?

Banjo:   I am sure you can tell from my parlance that I am not a conventional Nigerian rogue, unpatriotic and uncaring politician.  Nigerian politicians lie, hoodwink, and simply tell Nigerians what they want to hear.  I tell Nigerians what I believe is in their best interest, take it or leave it.  The pitiful thing about the whole scenario is that it takes two to tangle.  Having being in the political field for over 15 years, listened to Nigerians who are making senseless demand for votes and basing the performance of governors on the pittance they collect from them and sometimes because they know them, one is forced to ask himself, whether or not these Nigerians are not the human being God regret creating.  I certainly understand that Nigerian rulers have programmed the governed to be self destruct, most pitifully, the preponderancy of the ones that have run from the bad situation in Nigeria to the Western World are worse in terms of political mentality than the ones left in Nigeria.  Let’s begin to diagnose the illnesses of our society.

As soon as a candidate is sighted, the first thing the Nigerians electorate would ask you is money. Some would even go to the extent of telling you to send their children to school to prove to them that you are a serious candidate.  The Royal fathers who are not highly regarded in the Society would expect you to come to the palace with millions of Naira and at the end of the day they will be in tow of the highest bidders.  All the candidates for political offices in your political organization would expect you to fund their campaigns, failure of which they would start to conspire and threaten. Fake prophets, both traditional, Muslim and Christian, are ready to sap politicians dry. Can you imagine someone who was jilted in PDP and accepted into NCP threatening me to send N2 million or else? My response was very simple - they can all go to blazes.  I told them point blank that if you move to another party and if I am about a better state and you make the state better for me, are you going to say that I should not enjoy some of it?  They were shocked; they have never seen their kind of politicians speak like that.  They are used to politicians who will sell his belongings to satisfy them.  One even demanded from me a private car, a private 15-passengers bus, a private secretary and a messenger before he can agree to help me.  So I said to him, brother, you are not helping me.  We are helping ourselves.  The next statement he made was, do I know the position that I am aspiring to – governor? So I asked him what is spectacular about that.  He said “ipo ola ni” a position of honor. So I told him that I would give him all that he demands, provided he can swear to a legally enforceable statement that should I win, he, his children and posterity would never live in Ogun State to enjoy the benefit of my administration since he has been paid for it.  I found out this is why those at the helm of affairs always sell their properties to get into government and you cannot blame them if they replace those things after getting into power.  The majority of Nigerian electorates are sick.  So it is wrong to blame Nigerian politicians alone.  I only blame those who are already rich before getting into the helms of affairs.  Those kind of people should be able to satisfy the orgy of the hungry Nigerians and then get to the position to operate on their heads, but no, not them.

To view me as one of those politicians is wrong.  If I were in politics for money, I would have accepted a job that would enrich me.  For me application to serve is not about making money.  I am financially comfortable with my high profile job and perks of good life.  I have had the opportunity to make money in the criminal way the Nigerian elected and appointed officials make money by serving under the government of General Sani Abacha. I turned it down. My mission is not about unjustly enriching myself, it is about the dignity of the Black race; it is about enviable legacy that would make anyone associated with me to say "yes, I helped him to get elected." It is about a name that is enviably larger than life and it is a goal. It is not about propaganda to turn the brains of Nigerians upside down and confuse them as it is being done by Otunba Gbenga Daniel and his likes in government. I believe in nourishing and pampering talents, caring less whence they hail and regardless of colour and national origin. I believe in using those talents it pleases God to endow Nigeria with to make Nigeria great and to accord anyone, especially the blacks in the Diaspora the hope that they can go and visit and reside in Nigeria without fear.  My program for the elderly will be the first in this continent and will make the creators of senior citizens to pray for me.  I will bring sanity and credibility back to government.

Againstbangida.com:  What is your assessment of the quality of political office holders at all levels in Nigeria today. Compare them to people like Herbert Macaulay, Awolowo, Sardauna and Azikiwe.

Banjo:  The Honorable Herbert Macaulay, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, the Owelle of Onitsha were all great men of vision.  They loved Nigeria, but mistakes made by Dr. Azikiwe led to the sufferings of today.  By and large, you cannot compare these great Nigerians with anyone at the helms of affairs today.  You know, in the late 50s, Chief Awolowo sent Chiefs Ernest Ikoli and Anthony Enahoro to Zik of Africa to discuss ways in which they could work together to save Nigeria knowing fully well the plans of the British.  Zik simply told the Emissaries that he rather worked with Sir Bello as a ceremonial president rather than being a prime minister with power.  That marriage of convenience did not last as they conspired to keep Awolowo from circulation which partially led to the brutal assassination of Sir Bello and others.  In parentheses, I must mention that all Chief Awolowo wanted was for Zik to lead and he would serve him as Finance Minister. In 1983, suggestions were made again that both of them should work together; history has it that after Zik promised to work with Awo he refused to show up at the press conference.  They have all transited now.  They all tried for Nigeria and May their souls rest in perfect peace.

Againstbangida.com: Why is there a complete absence of political ideology, and do we need ideology in the first place to run the nation well?

Banjo: I disagree that there is a complete absence of political ideology.  For Obasanjo to set EFCC to trap his political enemies is an ideology.  For him to entrench corruption in one circle and make it appear that he is fighting corruption on the other hand is an ideology.  What is absolutely lacking is patriotic ideology in the interest of the nation.  None of these bandits Nigerians allowed to govern them has any ideology for the interest of the nation.   Yes, ideology is needed to make a nation great.  When Late Ronald Reagan of the United States came to power, he made it clear that by any means necessary, the United States must be the only super power.  He consulted astrologers, and he succeeded.  When Malcom X said the same thing, he was branded a violent person, and condemned even in death.  It is an ideology that tells which of our leaders we must respect.

Againstbangida.com: What is your political philosophy?

Banjo: My political philosophy is very simple: use all the gifts that please God to endow my country with to make it the greatest, surround myself with people who will speak with me without guile and of course with the interests of the masses at heart.  Bow to those who know more than I do since I do not have monopoly of wisdom.  I cherish talents and I love to invest in talents.

Againstbangida.com: We read the report about the struggle for power in Ogun State in The Nation. Don't you think there are too many people vying for power, not only in Ogun, but all over Nigeria?

Banjo: No.  There cannot be too many people contesting for an elective position.  The more the merrier. People must always have a choice. The only thing that I observed in Nigeria is that many of my people are in the race to make deals, and that is pitiful.  Many are not sincere, but with the system that I will erect when we get into power, our people would be reprogrammed to believe in self and yield for the best when sincerely discerned.

Againstbangida.com: Looking around Nigeria , the politicians have nearly failed. Last year, I traveled to Ibadan from Lagos, via Abeokuta . All I saw were self-promoting billboards of the governor on bad roads. Abeokuta looked just like it was 20 years ago - rickety taxis, narrow and bumpy roads. I saw a primary school just a few miles from President Obasanjo's farm in Ota that had no water, electricity, toilet or even doors. Is it impossible to have just one politician who can make real, palpable change among the thousands of them?

Banjo: Thank you my friend for making this observation known.  Those schools in Abeokuta are even better.  Travel with me to Yewa, you would see school buildings without windows, school buildings without roofs and yet some insane people, including their royal fathers, and this irresponsible Bode George are praising Daniel.  They praise him because none of their own children had to attend any of those schools. All Daniel’s children are in London, so one must ask, what attract him to send all his children to London since he is of the opinion that Ogun State is changing for the better.  Why can’t his children stay in a better Ogun State?  The governor even made a senseless statement that his child is disabled and there is a school in Lagos where he used to attend but they were making jest of him there and that was why he had to send all his children to London.  You are the governor for goodness sake, how about the children of the governed who are facing the same fate and who cannot afford to send their children to London?   Why was Daniel imposed on Ogun State?  Is it not to sooth the pains and pangs of the governed?  If he cannot even do it for his own children in the State that he governs, what do you expect? If London has acted like Ogun State under his leadership, and has not built such a school, would he be able to send his children there?  In a state that has only one fire engine located in Abeokuta and established by the British, you see the governor erecting bill boards that are more than 100 with each costing between 200,000 to 500,000 Naira, and these are being paid for from the coffers of the government and those funds were not appropriated for such spending.  I promise you my brother, my one year in power will change the face of the entire Africa.  Just pray that we are voted into power and see wonder.

Againstbangida.com: We read a report where you argued that President Obasanjo should vote for you. Did you not hear him say to the impeached Governor Peter Obi that he cannot wish anyone who was not in his party success?

Banjo: That was why he sent all the governors of the Alliance for Democracy packing. The letter to him was a strategy to keep me in the mind of the people and to tell Obasanjo that it should not be about party, it should be about the best.  If I have written to you, the Nigerian press would not view it as news.  But because the letter was written to the president, the Nigerian media carried it, and it gave us free publicity. There are other messages in the letter that were passed to him, and he understood them.

Againstbangida.com: Mr. Gbenga Daniel's major problem in Ogun State now is corruption. His associates are under probe by the EFCC. If elected, how in a nutshell will you fight corruption?

Banjo: Daniel symbolizes corruption.  From his head to toe is corrupt. You remember that he lied about his birthplace to get the ticket of the party.  He pursues power for power sake.  Dele Arojo, his co-contestant was killed in the street of Lagos, before he got that ticket, without remorse. There has been several political violence in Ogun State.  When I was attacked by his henchmen, his government did not say that they would investigate.  They made a senseless political statement that I was looking for cheap publicity.  The third time I was attacked the police assigned to my house engaged in shooting with their thugs; still the response from the Daniels government was that I was seeking relevance.  This explains why he spends so much money as an engineer to engineer lies, to hoodwink and cajole the unwary.  Like his rest comrades in PDP, he thrives in assassination.  As far as I am concerned, it is very easy to fight corruption in Nigeria without any EFCC.  Fighting of corruption begins with the governor.  If you are not sending anyone to steal for you or keep what is stolen, people would think twice before stealing.  I plan to overhaul the laws in Ogun State. I plan to review all policies and procedures in place.  I would give you an example, every electoral law made by both state and Federal encourages thievery. Why would there not be corruption?  Let me be specific.  You make laws that empower the Chairmen of Political Parties, a semi-God.  He must sign all the papers that are submitted to INEC, if you don’t pay your dues and if such chairman is hungry and dishonest, he would sell the party tickets to the highest bidder.  My plan therefore is to have all the electorates registered to vote by the government as well as with their various political parties. 

I would also encourage Independent electorates.  You don’t have to belong to a political party which suggests that you would only be able to vote in general elections.  This would discourage Nigerians from running from party to party looking for politicians to sap dry.  My government by law would set a date for all parties to conduct their primaries.  Each party member would vote for anybody he wishes to represent him on the platform of his party in his ward.  This would take a lot of financial burden from candidates.  The primary of our party in Ogun State cost me over N500,000 mostly to transport members all over the state, to rent a hall, security, media and food.  In other parties, candidates practically buy votes by paying the leaders in each ward or local government to buy delegates. 

With this law and sincere implementation of it, everybody that currently makes illegal money would be stopped, including the media.  The only money each candidate would have to spend is to go to the various ward and local government to campaign.  You cannot bribe all the members for sure. Once you emerge as your party’s candidate, you are on your own, you do not need the Chairman of the party to sign anything for you neither would you be required to come to Abuja for senseless screening.  My government would use an arm of government to clean house.  If you remember, couple of people who showed up to be American Idols were arrested sometimes ago because of their criminal records. Did these American idols candidate appear for screening against criminality or the apparatus are already set up not to allow rogues and criminals to be going around with the pride of America. There are other things my government would do to curb corruption. I cannot make everything public.  

Againstbangida.com: Would you probe Daniel as governor of Ogun State?

Banjo: The inhabitants of Ogun State are dying.  No Electricity, no reliable and cheap landline telephones for them to have access to Emergency assistance, safety is a challenge, no water, and education is moribund.  Jobs that pay living wage are challenges to Ogun State inhabitants.   Probing Daniel would not bring succor to my people in Ogun State. But what thing I can guarantee you, no other Daniel would ever rule Ogun State again because of the reinforced deterrent system my government would establish.

Againstbangida.com: If you were fortunate to become the Nigerian president, not just the governor of Ogun State, what would you do about General Babangida and all the other former officers and civilian elite who are reeling under allegations of corruption? Would you let bygone be bygone, or would you re-open the books.

Banjjo: My brother, the Late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo said he would probe if he got to power, Obasanjo who claimed to be honest and non-corrupt made sure he never became the president.  (Bo ri inu mi bi o ri okan mi demo mo wa.)  Probing is not our challenge, deterrent measure is.  All I can guarantee you is that my government will deter corruption.  We must also be very careful not to give IBB unnecessary publicity. Make him feel like if he is nobody, and leave him alone.

Againstbangida.com: Is President Obasanjo's war on corruption sincere or fake?

Banjo: Obasanjo is a military man who demonstrated military mentality to a high heaven and hypocritically opined that General Buhari has military mentality. The reason why Obasanjo wants his alter ego, Alhaji Abubakar Atiku impeached or harassed enough to force him to resign is because, Atiku has so many records of Obasanjo’s thievery.  Obasanjo knows that if he can get him out of power, he would no longer have the immunity and if he engages in the kind of revelation, he is currently engaging in, he would be arrested and shut up. It is in this regard that I sincerely feel that those calling for Abubakar’s resignation lack foresight.  Atiku did not swear to be loyal to Obasanjo, he swore to be loyal to the Constitution of Nigeria which is expected to frown at corruption.

So if the president, a thief, is playing holier than thou, some foolish Nigerians think Abubakar should resign because of that?  No! No! my brother.  If I am the one talking about how Obasanjo is the largest owner of land in Nigeria today, the media would not carry it.  If I am the one who said that he took 2 billion Naira out of the government’s coffers to invest in his farm, the media would talk about libel.  If I am the one who said that1.2trillion Naira has been spent on electricity we are yet to have and N300 million appropriated for roads, but spent on the PDP campaign, Nigerians would not give credence to it.  The billion of Naira that Bode George is accused of misappropriating at the Port Authority as determined by EFCC has been put to bed without a finger lifted to prosecute Bode because he probably spent some of the money to buy some equipment for Obasanjo.  So, when you sum all these up, you yourself can determine if you have a president who abhors corruption or he is just doing it to cow his enemies.   Listen, the names of both Gbenga Daniel and Akala of Oyo were included in the list submitted to the Presidency by EFCC, but the final list did not include their names. So you can answer your own question.  

Againstbangida.com:  Look at the large numbers of retired soldiers running for elected office. Don't you think the retired military class is getting too involved in politics in Nigerian today? Should Nigerians be worried?

Banjo: Retired Generals are Nigerians who have the right to aspire to any office they wish.  It is left for Nigerians to accept or reject them based on their records.  Not all Generals are bad. We have Nigerian civilians respected by Nigerians because they do not know them well, who are as autocratic as the retired generals. So it is left for Nigerians to look before leaping by assessing anyone they want to vote for instead of voting for someone because he has money.

Againstbangida.com:  Paint a scenario if General Babangida were to become President in 2007.

Banjo:  General Babangida is not the only problem of Nigeria.  Obasanjo is the beginning of Nigeria’s problem and the day he leaves Nigeria alone, that day our problems will begin to leave us alone, provided we do not allow another Obasanjo to take over.  Without Obasanjo there would not have been Alhaji Sheu Shagari, Buhari, IBB and Abacha.  Babangida made it clear that people like him must care who rule Nigeria.  The reason is because everybody like Obasanjo wants to protect their loot.  Tell me what happens under IBB that has not happened under Obasanjo.  In a question above, you said Obasanjo cannot wish anybody who is not in his party success.  IBB cannot wish anybody who is not his associates in looting Nigeria success. What is the difference?  An enemy of the masses is an enemy of the masses.

Againstbangida.com:  A recent newspaper account reported that the PDP's selected presidential flag bearer, Gov Umaru Yar'Adua held a secret meeting with Babangida in Minna just a few days after securing the PDP ticket. What's in stock for Nigeria in a potential Yar'Adua-Babangida romance, should the governor win the presidency. Do you foresee Babangida remaining a "sacred cow," yet shielded from long-awaited justice?

Banjo: In as much as Obasanjo is still controlling who is in power and you have a retired military running our affairs, you would not be able to get someone to touch Babangida.  Listen, some nincompoop applauded Obasanjo for terminating the ambition of Babangida. I am sorry I have to call them fools, because Obasanjo did not do it in the national interest.  Obasanjo was compelled by higher forces with the prayer and hard work of people like you to exterminate IBB’s ambition for his own interest. What is it that Nigerians largely yearn for that Obasanjo has done unless it is for his own interest? We cry for uninterrupted flow of electricity, safety, education, landline telephone, employment and other basic things that the poor people take for granted in the Western Countries, Obasanjo did not do it.  So, in as much as people do things for selfish reasons, we will continue to have sacred cows. 

Againstbangida.com: What things must be done now for Nigeria to sustain democracy, on one hand, and develop the nation, on the other hand?

Banjo: Nigerians must just take the bull by the horn and put their arms around their destiny. They must take money from anyone one who offered them money but refuse to vote for them.  They must ask for the basic things of life other than elephant projects that are making those in government richer and the poor masses poorer.  Those abroad who are more feckless than the ones in Nigeria must come together to identify honest and patriotic Nigerians and sponsor them for political offices, of course not on the platform of PDP or AC.  They must discontinue acting like crabs in the basket, running after people in office.  When AD was in power, we had AD in United Kingdom and the United States.  As soon as Obasanjo succeeded in using military strategy to dislodge AD out of power, majority of Nigerians abroad rushed to PDP.  How unprincipled, unpatriotic, and politically senseless can they be?   One can make weak excuses for those in Nigeria, what kind of excuses can we make for those abroad who are looking for power for power sake? A lot of them have asked me to dump National Conscience Party for the party that can win whereas the winning party is destroying our people and the nation. With this kind of mentality, Nigerians would continue to be scorns everywhere in the world.  Nigerians at home, must once and for all, decide to fast and listen carefully to those seeking elective offices and stop asking for money for votes.  This is the only way we can get out of shackles of want, bad leadership and disease.  The police must also know those fighting for their rights are fighting for all of us, and thus must be seen to be enforcing the laws for national interest and not for the interests of the people in power.  One must give kudos to the Judiciary, they have tried and I have high hope that they will continue to try.

Againstbangida.com: What things have you seen in the United States that you want to apply to make a difference in Nigeria?

Banjo: You have to evaluate at my background.  I am a Certified Public Accountant with solid government background.  I was the de-facto treasurer for the Honorable Marion Barry, Jr. the former Mayor of Washington, for 12 years.  I was the Treasurer for the Honorable Sandy Allen for 9 years, and for the Honorable Charles Moreland, DC first elected U.S. Representative. I have been instrumental in affecting policy changes that affect millions of Americans.  This is how the secret of how to make a country great is made known to me.  Put your citizens first and use all the talented human being, whether citizens or not, to the greatness of your country.  When you use either of these people, whether citizens or not, there must be strict control to protect the national interest.  The U.S. today is not concerned about you being a Nigerian working for governments, once you can contribute to their greatness, but their laws are there to handcuff you so that you would not turn their country to Nigeria, and you would constantly be monitored.   Laws are being made out of their experience and are being enforced.  This is what I have learned from this great country called the United States of America.

Againstbangida.com: Nigerians in the Diaspora are many and they can wield a lot of political influence. How can they harness their resources to change things at home?

Banjo: I never knew you are going to ask this question before I addressed some of their feebleness earlier.  What is the dignity of a man who cannot perform his manly role to his wife?  Nigerians in the Diaspora may wield a lot of undemonstrated political power; did they put themselves in that position?  As destructive as Obasanjo is to our nation, if he is visiting any city in the United States, the location would be jammed pack with Nigerians who are political jobbers and who would not go there to express the pains of our people at home and talk about the solution.  When Obasanjo wanted to start what I call  “LUDO” which is referred to as NIDO I warned some of my friends that nothing would come out of it.  I beckoned to them to reason. First, there are many Nigerians in Nigeria who are ignored, if Obasanjo is serious, charity must begin at home, he should first organize Nigerians in Nigeria, let’s see how well he can play this LUDO.  I also told them that if I were Obasanjo, (God forbid, I would never be), I would schedule this meeting in Abuja with chartered planes that Nigerians abroad would pay nominal fee for and seriously hold this meeting with them. Since the meeting would be in Abuja, I would negotiate a group price for hotel rooms. 

Nigerians would come and contribute to the economy, but because Obasanjo is not for Nigeria, he is for America he came to Atlanta, the city of his friend, Andrew Young with whom they are milking us dry to hold the meeting.  Some Nigerians came from California and had to pay over $400 in fares, stayed in hotels, and Atlanta got all the benefit of that meeting.  Nigeria lost totally.  At the end of day, in-fighting brought the NIDO to real LUDO.  When I stood by Marion Barry Jr. during his tribulations, many Nigerians thought I was stupid.  I invited them for fundraising for the man who created an opportunity for us all in DC, they did not show up.  Everybody wanted direct contact.  They condemned me, castigated me before the people they believe had Marion’s hear, at the end they all lost.  A society that wants to be powerful and respected should not allow selfish interest to override the interest of society. This is why the Spanish people who are not as educated as we are, are getting the deserved respect.   Can you imagine, a Nigerian who denounced my association with Marion, called me up, after his prison terms and he became the Mayor, to ask me if he I can push for him to become the Director of Department of Housing where I used to work.  He would not help me to help Marion to become the mayor, and now he wants to become my boss after I emptied my account to get the man elected.  This is Nigerian in Diaspo-ra.  Another one saw me recently, and he wanted something from another elected official in Washington, D,C., and he wanted to know if I can help.  I said to him, I would see how I can help but here is an invitation to a fund-raiser event, he did not show up.  He saw me  weeks after that, he still wanted to know how he can get a contract.  This is Nigerian in Diaspo-ra! So my friend, Nigerians outside Nigeria need to do inner assessment of themselves.  We need to get organized and be politically active.  Not for Spanish people, immigration laws would have been made tougher for black folks in America.  We need to get our acts together.

Againstbangida.com: Should Nigerians abroad be able to vote? If yes, what can be done to make it happen?

Banjo: This is part of the problem that I have with Nigerians abroad.  We are not using our education in the proper manner.  It has been my view from day one that the issue of voting right for Nigerians abroad is a no-brainer.  Listen, our people are suffering at home, we are not organizing to see how we can support someone from here and make calls home for that person to be voted for.  We are not willing to go home with that person or sponsor some people to go with that person to campaign.  Give that person a chance for four years with solid plans to execute, failure of which, we would all campaign against him in the next four year.   We are so myopic in our thinking that there are many Southerners in the U.S. and U.K. that our votes can make a difference. Do Nigerians in Diaspora not include Nigerians in Egypt, Saudia Arabia, Sudan and all these Arab Countries and even Togo?  Are they not in Diaspora?  We do not care about accurate counting of the votes cast in Nigeria first.  We just want to complicate matter for us in Nigeria and create avenues for the Nigerian Embassies outside Nigeria to further misspend our money.  If you say this is the vote from the Western World, and the Northerners tell you yes, they have more votes in the Arab countries, how are you going to disprove it?  The numbers of votes counted for Obasanjo in Ogun State is more than the total results announced for all of gubernatorial candidates in elections conducted in the same day for both president and governor in 2003.  Nigerians abroad have no problems with that!  Nigerians in Diaspora are not struggling to make sure home front is solid before additional burden is placed on governments that like to spend our money like prodigal sons.  Now that Lamidi Adedibu is caught with some machines in his house, how many of that would make your vote counts.  So, I think we should all join to clear house in Nigeria first.  Once we are able to get a caring and patriotic governor to showcase a state, and we have patriotic Nigerians at the federal level to make life meaningful for our people, Nigerians are enjoying uninterrupted flow of electricity, water, good health care, etc.  That is when we can begin to talk of Nigerians voting abroad.  We are not ready for that.  With due respect, Nigerians abroad are not that politically mature. Who would they vote for, either AC or PDP – the parties with the same people that are holding us back, the winning party in their stinking wisdom.  The U.S. organized votes for the Iraqis in the U.S. in the interest of the U.S. and not the interest of the Iraqis who are suffering more now than under Saddam Hussein.  The U.S. did not begin to speak about absentee votes until they are sure no one can rig at home.  This is what all of us should emulate.

Againstbangida.com: If you had to look a poor, near-hopeless Nigerian child in the face and tell him or her something about the future, what would you say?

Banjo: The same thing I told my own aging father and mother.  This is the situation created by your parents, if you don’t learn from it, your own children would be worse.  To keep hope alive is in your hand and there is no way you can be hopeful when you ask politicians to give you money for votes.  Your hopes would be dashed, if your parents keep praising current governors because they know them personally, or because they are benefiting from them.  Your hopes would be dashed if you keep bugging relatives abroad to keep sending you money without encouraging them to help you fix the system so that you would not continue to be liabilities on them.  Your hopes will be nipped in the bud, if your relatives abroad allow you to put so much pressure on them to the extent that they start having heart attacks as we are witnessing in Nigerian community abroad.  Your future is in your hand my fellow sojourners in life.

Againstbangida.com: If elected the Ogun State helmsman, what areas would receive priority attention? In what ways do you intend to improve the state's economy?

Banjo: Once I am elected, my immediate priority would be the writing of Ogun State Constitution for presentation to the citizens for referendum, electrification of the entire State within two or three years, encircling the entire State with land line telephone cables, from Ijebu Waterside to Imeko Afon and Ipokia, Water projects, Health Care, Education, and immediate care of Senior Citizens would be my priority.

If we are to practice this democracy the way it ought to be practiced, each State must have its own Constitution that must place premium on the liberty, security, and welfare of the citizenry.  Ogun State under my leadership would bell the cat. Citizens must have the opportunity to make inputs into, accept or reject any constitutional framework through a referendum to prevent their continued treatments as aliens in all constitutional processes. That is the essence of Federal Republic.  This Constitution would empower me as the governor to have my own State Police, regulated utilities company etc. With the State Police, Ogun State, and hopefully by extension, Nigeria would never be ruled by a military person.

Once that is taken care of, we will quickly move to electricity. I have a team comprising of African Americans and Nigerians in the U.S. working on solving electricity problem as we speak.  It is a war that I plan to wage against the enemies of Nigeria and I am sure of victory.  I will only fail, if I do anything for selfish reason, like getting a cut under the table.  Energy is very important for the economic growth of any society.  I always feel bad for petty traders, when for three days they could not complete a small job because of epileptic supply of electricity. How do they survive?  How would they pay taxes to the government?  With constant supply of flow of electricity, businesses would be falling on themselves to move to Ogun State and my government would be intrinsically involved in where they move to, to prevent the crowdedness of certain areas.  These would be achieved through incentives and would be spread all over the State.  Many businesses would now be encouraged to use computers, fax, Internet and all the technologies that are available to the poor in the Western World. 

As we speak, we have concluded the arrangement to put land line telephone into every home that wishes to have it in Ogun State at a cheap price.  Telephone services to senior citizens would be offered at drastically subsidized fee so that they can have access to emergency centers that would be established throughout the State.  Initially, they would not be able to call anywhere outside Ogun State, but access to Police, Emergency Crew including Fire agencies and doing businesses among the inhabitants of the State are our first priority.  We will deal with outside Ogun State at the National Assembly once we have a breakthrough.

Many hospitals would be rebuilt with the state of arts equipment throughout the State so that no one including myself would need to travel overseas for medical attention.  Doctors would be handsomely paid and health would be free to all, especially senior citizens.  Funding of the program has been designed and is not a challenge to us.

On my care for senior citizens, I will immediately submit a bill to the Ogun State House of Assembly requiring our senior citizens who are 65 years and older and who have no source of income be paid a certain amount of money every month and food be supplied to them every month.

We have designed a tax collection and civilized enforcement system that would be second to none in Africa to bring businesses to Accountants, Lawyers, and stimulate the economy.  With all these, I intend to double the budget of the State in a year. 

twitterfacebook twitter google